CARING FOR OUR HOME
Like any home, our facilities require constant care and maintenance, along with major repairs and upgrades at times. Our original boiler/chiller system operated for more than 50 years without any significant issues. In May of 2018, the system suffered a catastrophic failure, leaving the original school building without air conditioning or heating.
Out of necessity, leased temporary chiller units powered the system for the 2018-19 school year, but were not meant to serve as a long-term solution. After efforts to repair the system were exhausted, the administration turned its attention to replacement. In May of 2019, BCCHS signed contracts so work could begin immediately. Construction began in the summer of 2019, and work was completed over the summer of 2020, on budget and ahead of schedule.
- May 2018 – Original boiler/chiller fails, leaving the school without heating or cooling.
- Fall 2018 – Options to repair and upgrade the original system are explored.
- Winter 2018 – BCCHS leadership makes the decision to replace the failing system.
- Summer 2019 – Construction begins on the new HVAC system and other improvements.
- Summer 2020 – New HVAC system installed and fully operational, on budget and ahead of schedule.
- February 2021 – Special appeal launches to pay off debt and provide for current and future students.
Although plans to replace the original system were in place more than five years ago, BCCHS was unable to save for the full cost of the new HVAC system while covering other operational expenses. The school was able to fund $1 million (nearly 20%) of the project’s financing with reserve funds and the support of a few generous donors. A loan, provided by a Deposit/Loan program at the Diocese of Wichita, was granted to cover the remainder of the project cost. Our goal is to fully retire this loan as quickly as possible to minimize the effect on the annual budget.